Thursday, April 10, 2008

Aeneid lines 6.450-76 (class translation)

Among whom Phoenician Dido, recent from her wound, was wandering in the great forest; as soon as the Trojan hero stood next to and recognized whom, dim through the shadows, like the moon which a man sees or thinks he sees rising up through the clouds at the months beginning, he sent down tears and spoke with sweet love: "Unlucky Dido, then a true message had come to me that you had been destroyed and followed death with iron. Alas was I the cause of your death? I swear by the stars, by the gods and if there is any faith under the deepest earth, queen, I left your shore unwillingly. But the orders of the gods compelled me, by their commands which now compel me to go through these shadows, through places rough with neglect and vast night. Nor was I able to believe that I bore you such great sadness by my leaving. Stay your step and do not withdraw yourself from my sight. Whom do you flee? This is the last time in which I might speak to you by fate.”

With such words Aeneas tried to soften her spirit burning and gazing grimly and roused tears. That woman, turned away, held her eyes to the ground nor is she moved in face by his begun speech more than if she stood hard flint or Marpesian cliff. At last she tore herself away and flew hostile into the shady wood, where Sychaeus, her former husband sympathizes with her cares and matches her love. Nor less Aeneas, shaken by her unfair downfall, follows far with tears and pities her going.

No comments: