Friday, November 21, 2008

Catullus 76

If there is any pleasure for a man remembering previous benefits, when he thinks that he is pious, that he has not dishonored sacred faith nor in any contract has abused the will of the gods to deceive men, many joys remain for you in a long life, Catullus, prepared from this thankless love. For whatever men can say or do well for anyone, these have been both said and done by you: all of which have died, entrusted to an ungrateful mind. Therefore, why now do you torture yourself further? Why do you not persevere in spirit and thence both lead yourself back and cease to be wretched with the gods unwilling? It is hard to put aside a long love suddenly; it is hard, but let yourself do this in whatever (way) you will. This is your one safety, this must be completely conquered by you; let yourself do this whether it is possible or not possible. O gods, if it is yours to pity, or if ever you have brought final help to anyone already amidst death itself, look at wretched me and, if I have lead life innocently, snatch this disease and destruction from me, which, creeping into my inmost limbs like a numbness, has driven out the joys from my whole heart. Now I do not ask for that which is not possible, that that woman esteems me in return or that she wants to be chaste: I myself wish to be strong and to lay to rest this foul illness. O gods, give this to me for my piety!

No comments: