Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Horace Ode 3.9

“While I was pleasing to you nor was any more valued young man offering arms for your white neck, I flourished more blessed than the king of the Persians.”

“While you were not more inflamed by another and Lydia was not after Chloe, I, Lydia of great account, flourished more famous than Roman Ilia.”

“Now Thracian Chloe rules me, learned in sweet measures and expert of the lyre, for whom I will not fear to die, if the fates spare her life to go on.”

“Calais, son of Ornytus of Thurii, burns me with mutual torch, for whom I will endure to die twice, if the fates spare the boy to live on.”

“What if ancient Venus returns and forces those separated under the bronze yoke, if blond Chloe is shaken out and the door is open to rejected Lydia?”

“Although that man is fairer than a star, you are lighter than cork and more hot-tempered than the immoderate Adriatic, I would love to live with you, I would freely die with you.”

No comments: