Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Catullus 45

Septimius, holding Acme, his love(s), in his lap, said “My Acme, unless I love you to destruction, I am prepared to love (you) hereafter continuously for all the years, as much as one who is able to die entirely, let me come alone in Lydia and scorched India in the path of a grey eyed lion.” As he said this, Love sneezed his approval on the left as before on the right. But Acme, lifting up her head lightly and having kissed the intoxicated eyes of the sweet boy with that rosy mouth said thus, “My life, little Septimius, thus let us serve continuously this one master so that a greater and sharper fire burns more sweetly in my soft marrow.” As she said this Love sneezed his approval on the left as before on the right. Now having set out from a good auspice they love (and) are loved with equal spirits. Wretched little Septimius wanted his one Acme more than Syrias and Brittains: faithful Acme makes delights and pleasures in Septimius alone. Who has seen any happier men, who (has seen) a more auspicious Venus?

No comments: