Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Catullus 50

Yesterday, Licinius, at our leisure we played much on my tablets, a it had been agreed to be frisky: each of us writing little verses was playing at one time in this number, at another time in that, returning reciprocities through joke and wine. And thence I left, inflamed by your charm and wits, Licinius, so that neither did food aid me nor sleep touch my eyes with rest, but untamable with madness I tossed and turned over the whole bed, desiring to see the light so that I might speak with you and at the same time be (with you). But after my limbs, tired with the effort, lay half dead on the little bed, I made this poem for you, pleasant one, from which you might appreciate my pain. Now beware lest you be rash and beware lest you spurn our prayers, we beg, darling, lest Nemesis demand penalties from you; she is a violent goddess: beware lest she harm (you).

No comments: