Sunday, October 21, 2007

Aeneid lines 1.372-410 (class translation)

“O goddess, if retracing from the very beginning I should proceed and if you have time to hear the records of our sufferings, sooner would the Evening star settle the day with Olympus closed up. By its own caprice a storm has driven us carried through various seas to Lybian shores from ancient Troy, if by chance the name of Troy has come to your ears. I am pius Aeneas, who carries my Penates, snatched from the enemy, in my fleet with me, known by my fame above the ether. I seek my fatherland, Italy, and a race from highest Jove. I embarked on the Phrigian sea with twice ten ships; with my mother goddess showing the way, I followed my given fates; scarcely seven have survived, rocked by waves and the east wind. Indeed, I myself, unknown, in need, wander through the deserts of Libya, driven from Europe and Asia.”

And Venus, not enduring his complaining more, interrupted in the middle of his pain thus: “Whoever you are, hardly do I think you consume vital breath hated by the gods, you who have come to the Tyrian city. Go on now, and from here take yourself to the thresholds of the queen. And in fact I tell you that your allies are restored and your fleet born back and driven into safety by the shifted north winds, unless in vain my parents falsely taught me augury. Look! twice six swans rejoicing in their line whom a bird of Jove, having slipped from the ethereal region, has thrown into confusion in the open sky; now they are seen either taking the ground in a long line or looking down on the already occupied (lands). As those led back play on rustling wings and have encircled the sky with their formation and given their song, hardly otherwise both your ships and the young men of your group either hold port or enter the harbors under full sail. Go on now, and where the road leads you, direct your step.”

She spoke and, turning, gleamed from her rosy neck, and her ambrosial hair breathed out divine smell from her head; her dress flowed down to the bottom of her feet, and the true goddess was evident in her step. That man, when he recognized his mother, followed the one fleeing with such a voice, "Why so many times do you also mock your son with false shapes, cruel one. Why is it not given to join right hand to right hand and to hear and return true voices?” With such (words) he reproaches and holds his step to the walls.

No comments: