Saturday, February 23, 2008

Aeneid lines 6.337-383 (class translation)

Behold the pilot Palinurus was leading himself, who recently during the Lybian journey, while he was observing the stars, having slipped from the ship fell amidst the waves. When he just recognized this sad person in the great shadow, thus Aeneas spoke first, "Which of the gods stole you from us, Palinurus, and immersed you under the middle of the sea? Speak, come. Indeed hardly before found deceptive, Apollo in this one response has mocked my mind, who sang that you should be safe from the sea and come to Ausonian territory. Look, is this promised pledge?”

But that man, "The cauldron of Phoebus did not deceive you leader, son of Anchises, nor did a god drown me. Indeed falling headlong I drug with me the rudder ripped off by chance with much force, to which as given custodian I used to cling and rule the routes. I swear by the rough seas I seized no great(er) fear for myself than that your ship, despoiled of its gear and shaken of its master, might sink in such great surging waves. Three wintry nights the violent North wind drove me on the water through vast seas; on the forth day I scarcely caught sight of Italy, born aloft from the crest of the wave. Little by little I was making for land; already I was holding safe places, except that a cruel clan, foolishly had thought (me) booty and with a sword attacked (me) weighed down with my soaking cloak and grasping the rough tops of the mountain. Now the wave holds me and the winds tosses me on shore. Wherefore, I beg you through the pleasant light and breezes of the sky, through your father, through the hopes of your growing Iulus, snatch me from (my) evils, unconquered one: either throw dirt on me, indeed you can, and revisit the ports of Velia, or you, if there is any way, if your divine mother offers any (way) to you—for, I believe, you do not prepare to cross such rivers and the Stygian marsh without the power of the gods—give your right hand to a wretched man and lift me with you through the waves so that I might rest in death in placid abodes.”

He has spoken such things when the prophetess began (to speak) so: “Whence do you have this so dread desire, Palinurus? Will you, unburied, see the Stygian waters and the stream of the harsh Eumenides, and will you, unbidden, approach the bank? Cease to hope that the fates of the gods are turned by praying. But, mindful, take (these) words, solace of your awful downfall. For the neighbors, driven far and wide through the cities by divine portents, will expiate your bones, and place a tomb, and send sacrifices to (your) tomb, and the place will have the eternal name of Palinurus.” His cares were removed by these words and the grief of his heart pushed back for a little while; he rejoices in his namesake land.

No comments: