Friday, November 13, 2009

Aeneid 2.57-104

Look, meanwhile Trojan herdsmen with a great shout were dragging to the king a youth bound at his hands behind his back, who of his own accord had thrust himself, unknown to those coming, to set in place this very thing and to open Troy to the Argives, trusting in his courage and prepared for either outcome, whether to implement his trick or to fall to certain death. From all sides the Trojan youth, having poured around with an eagerness to see, rush in and strive to mock the captive. Receive now the tricks of the Danaans and learn about them all from one crime. For, agitated in the middle of the survey, as he stood unarmed and looked around the Phrygian battle lines with his eyes, he said, “Alas who earth now, what waters can receive me? Or what now finally remains for wretched me, for whom (there is) not any place among the Danaans and besides the hostile Trojans themselves demand punishment with blood?” With this (lit. which) groan our minds were turned, and every attack was suppressed. We urge him to tell from what blood he was born and what he endured; he should remember what faith there is for a captive.

(76) That man says these things, at last with fear having been set aside: “I will say all true things indeed to you, king, whatever will be,” he says, “and I will not deny that I am from the Argive race. This first, and if wicked Fortune made Sinon wretched, yet she did not make him empty and lying. If by chance some name of Palamedes son of Belus has come to your ears in the telling and his glory famous by rumor, whom under a false betrayal the Greeks sent down to be killed, innocent of an unspeakable charge because he was trying to avoid the wars, now they mourn the one bereft of the light: to that man hither my poor father sent me as a companion and one close in blood-kinship into arms from the first years. While safe in kingship and the assemblies of the kings he was flourishing, we even bore some name and glory. Afterward, by the envy of deceitful Ulysses (hardly do I mention unknown things) he withdrew form the shores above, afflicted I drew out a life in shadows and grief and I resented the downfall of my innocent friend. Nor, mad one, was I silent, and if any chance had brought (it about), if ever I were to return as victor to paternal Argos, I would have offered myself an avenger, and I moved harsh hatred with my words. Hence was the first taint of evil for me, hence always Ulysses terrorized with new crimes, hence he sprinkled devious words in the crowd and guilty (aware) he sought weapons. For he did not rest until with Calchas as an accomplice—but moreover why do I go over again these unpleasant things in vain, or why do I delay? If you have all Argives in one class, and this is enough to hear, take already take your revenge: the Ithacan wants this and the sons of Atreus would buys for a great price.”

No comments: