Saturday, November 28, 2009

Aeneid 2.679-729

Shouting such things, the whole house filled with groaning, when a sudden portent, wondrous to speak of, arises. For between the hands and faces of his sad parents, look! a thin peak seemed to pour out light from the top of Iulus' head, and harmless flames (seemed) to lick his soft hair with a touch and to feed around his temples. We, terrified, rush around with fear both to cast off the burning hair and and to put out the sacred fires from their sources. But father Anchises happily lifted his eyes to the stars and held his hands to the sky (along) with his voice: 'All-powerful Jupiter, if you are bent by any prayers, see us, this so great thing, and, if we earn (it) by our piety, then give us help and confirm all these things, father.'

(692) Hardly had the too-old man said these things, and suddenly with a crash the left sounded, and from the sky a star, having slipped through the shadows, leading a fiery tail, ran with much light. We see that, sinking over the highest tops of the house, bury itself bright in the forest of Mt. Ida and marking the ways; then from the long path the trail gives light and widely around the places smoke with sulphur. Here indeed, my conquered father lifted himself to the airs and speaks to the gods and worships the holy star: 'Now, now there is no delay; I follow and where you lead I am there, gods of my fathers; save this house, save my grandson. Yours is this portent, in your power is Troy. I yield indeed a, child, I do not refuse to go as companion to you.' That man had spoken, and now a clearer fire is heard through the walls, and nearer the fires roll the heat waves.

(707) Therefore come, dear father, clasp our neck; I myself will place (you) on my shoulders and that labor will not weigh me down; wherever things will fall, one and common danger, one safety will be for us both. Little Iulus will be a companion to me, and my wife will guard my steps at a distance. You, household slaves, turn your thoughts to what I say. There is for those having left the city a mound and an old temple of deserted Ceres, and nearby an ancient Cypress, protected through the many years by the religion of my fathers; we will come into the one seat from diverse (directions). You, father, take the sacred items and our fathers' Penates in your hand; it is wrong that I touch (them) having come from such war and fresh slaughter until I have cleansed myself in flowing water.' Having said these things, I covered over my broad shoulders and lowered neck with a cloak and the tawny pelt of a lion, and advance to the burden; little Iulus joins himself to my right hand and follows his father with unequal steps; my wife comes up behind. We are born through the shadows of the places, and whom recently not any thrown weapon and not collected Greeks with hostile swarm, now every breeze terrifies me, every sound excites, anxious and fearing equally for my companion and my burden.

No comments: