Thursday, December 3, 2009

Aeneid 2.730-804

And now I near the gates and seemed to have escaped every path, when suddenly a constant sound of feet seemed to be in my ears, and my father, looking forward through the shadow, exclaims, 'Son, flee, son; they are near; I see shining shields and flashing bronze.' Here some hostile (lit. badly friendly) power snatched away from me my confused mind. For while I follow the trackless way at a run and leave the known region of the paths, alas, unlucky Creusa, snatched by wretched fate, either stopped or she wandered from the path or she sank down exhausted--it is uncertain; she was neither returned afterward to our eyes, nor did I catch sight of her lost or bend back my mind before we came to the mound of ancient Ceres and her sacred seat. Here finally, with everyone collected, was that one missing, and she slipped away from her companions and child and husband. Whom of both men and the gods did I not accuse, crazed, or what crueler thing in the overturned city did I see?

(747) I entrust Ascanius and Anchises my parent and the Teucrian Penates to my allies and hide (them) away in the curved valley; I myself seek again the city and put on gleaming arms. It stands to renew all misfortunes and to return through all Troy and the subject my head again to the dangers. In the beginning I seek again the walls and the dark thresholds of the gate by which I had lead out my step, and I follow back tracks observed through the night and scan with my eye: everywhere the terror in my mind and the silence itself terrify me at the same time. Then I took myself home, if by chance, if by chance she had returned (there); the Greeks had invaded and held my whole house. Suddenly consuming fire rolls to the top peaks with the wind; the flames tower above, the heat rages to the airs. I advance and revisit the homes and citadel of Priam: and now in the empty porticos , the sanctuary of Iuno, chosen watchmen, Phoenix and hard ulysses, were protecting the booty. To this place from everywhere Trojan treasure, snatched from burning shrines is gathered, and the tables of the gods and mixing bowls of solid gold, and captured clothing. Boys and fearful mothers stand around in a long line.

(768) In fact I dared even to throw voices through the shadow and filled the streets with a clamor, and I called 'Creusa" in vain, mournful, groaning again and again. To me seeking and rushing to/from houses without end, the unlucky ghost of Creusa herself appeared before my eyes and the image, greater than as known. I stopped silent and my hair stood up and my voice clung in my throat. Then thus she spoke and lessened my cares with these words: 'Why is it pleasing to indulge so in insane grief, o sweet husband? These things do not happen without the will of the gods; and it is not right for you to carry Creusa as a companion hence, nor does the ruler himself of Olympus above allow (it). Long exiles and the vast water of the sea must be plowed by you, and you will come to Hesperia, where a Lydian Tiber flows among the best fields of men with a gentle line. There happy circumstances and a kingdom and a royal wife have been created for you; put aside tears for your cherishe Creusa. I will not see the proud homes of the Myrmidons or of the Dolopians nor will I go to serve Greek mothers, a Dardanian and daughter-in-law of the goddess Venus; but the great mother of the gods detains me on these shores. And now goodbye and keep the love of our common child.' When she gave these words, she left me crying and wishing to say many things, and receded into the thin breezes. Three times then I tried to put arms around her neck; three times in vain the grasped image fled my hands, equal to light winds, and most like a flying dream. Thus at last I revisit my allies, the night having been used up.

(796) And here I find a huge, astonishing number of new companions had streamed together, both mothers and men, the youth collected for exile, a wretched crowd. From everywhere they came together prepared in hearts and resources for whatever lands I should wish to lead them by the sea. And now Lucifer was rising from the ridges of highest Ida and was leading the day, and the Greeks were holding the besieged thresholds of the gates and not any hope of aid was given. I yielded and sought the mountains with my uplifted father.

No comments: